Military church of Santa Margalida (Saint Margaret)
A living example of Gothic architecture in Palma
This church has been home to Franciscan monks as well as a military hospital
Almost at the end of Carrer de Sant Miquel we find the only military parish church in Palma: Santa Margalida (Saint Margaret). It is a building that must not be missed on a tour of the city’s Gothic legacy (we are talking about one of the first buildings constructed in this style), with its impressive buttresses protruding from the façade.
In 1238, this church was home to the Franciscan friars, who would eventually end up moving to the current monastery of Sant Francesc. The parish later became home to Augustinian nuns and was subsequently converted into a military hospital. It is currently the only church at the service of the armed forces.
The interior of the church has a rectangular floor plan with a single nave, side chapels and a rectangular apse. Its choir dates back to the 13th century and it is supported on two rows of three diminished arches resting on four octagonal pillars. The first chapel on the left contains the Gothic sepulchre of Guillem de Torella (1267), Templar knight and protector of the church.
Calle de Sant Miquel, 69 07002 Palma
+34 971 725 658
Open to visitors, except during mass. Mass timetable – Weekdays: 6 pm Holiday eves: 6 pm – Holidays: 10 am 6 pm