A modernist building designed for multiple families which at the time changed the appearance of Palma’s historical centre. The master builder was Bartolomé Ferrà Perelló (1843-1924), a member of the “La Renaixença” (Catalan Renaissance) cultural movement. His approach was similar to that of the neo-Gothic movement and he was in favour of reviving the spirit and creations of the Middle Ages. Ferrà was the driving force behind establishing the Ramón Llull Archaeological Museum, and was its first director. With the opening of the “La Roqueta” tile factory, he saw the presence of the past, the recuperation of which he had so clamoured for. He applied the tile decoration to the Can Barceló house (1902-1904), lamenting the fact that he was unable to make greater use of it.
The tiles applied to the façade are the work of the Mallorcan draughtsman Vicenç Llorens. Of the nine panels, two are ornamental, with two-coloured motifs of eagles and dragons (already used on the Gran Hotel). The others contain allegories of music, architecture, literature, ceramics, the textile industry and trade. The latter two are included because the building’s developer Bartomeu Barceló Mir was a businessman who specialised in overseas goods and the textile industry (the building was actually constructed on the plot of land where his weaving mill previously stood).
Wrought iron can also be seen on the balconies and on four bay windows that are not highly decorated, belonging to Can Barceló’s façade. On the lintel of the balconies on the first floor there are glazed butterfly-shaped ceramics and tiles with schematic botanical motifs. A horizontal line of tiles runs through the middle of the building. There are ceramic medallions representing eagles on the lintels of the mullioned windows on the top floor. In line with its features, this building belongs to the secessionist movement with elements of pre-modernist style.